The thought of looking for work, or going to an interview can be very scary –
particularly if you have never worked before or have been out of work for a while!
In an increasingly competitive job market, it is important to be prepared and vital to have the relevant job seeking skills and knowledge to give yourself the best chance of finding that job. One of the most important things you can do to boost your chances is to update your skills. This extra training will help convince a potential employer that you have the drive and commitment to succeed, as well as having tangible and relevant skills.
All of our employability courses lead to nationally recognised and accredited certification that can enhance your CV.
1. Compass – a 1 day course designed to help you develop a personal action plan.
2. Discover My Skills – on this 5-day course you will learn how to:
- Identify your own skills, experience and personal qualities
- Produce a CV and covering letter which includes essential information
- Learn the skills required for successful job seeking
- Match skills and abilities to suitable jobs
- Search for jobs from a variety of sources using various methods
- Complete application forms
- Know how to prepare for and what to expect at an interview
3. Refocus – A useful follow on course to Discover My Skills.
You will learn about raising your self-esteem, improving your time management skills, and why adopting new behaviours can effectively reprogram how you feel about your own abilities and personal worth.
4. Move on Up
Employers often seek to hire staff with ‘strong interpersonal skills’ – they want people who will work well in a team and be able to communicate effectively with colleagues, customers and clients. You must also present yourself well at interview if you hope to secure a job offer – some people are naturals at selling themselves during the interview; and others find it more difficult. On this course you will gain confidence to attend interviews.
5. IT Skills – we offer a range of open learning IT courses to help you polish up your skills and progress. Phone or call into a centre for more info.
6. Building a Career Portfolio
Career portfolios are a valuable career development tool. Depending on what type of portfolio you have, it can be digital or shown in a bound hard copy to support your abilities to a potential employer or customer. Used as a marketing tool, your career portfolio is a powerful visual aid which allows you to showcase your career accomplishments and provide insight into your capabilities.
Please contact us for more details of courses, which may also be running in Newton Abbot and Plymouth. You can also ask for a referral via your JCP advisor. Please note – booking is essential.